BMW to power future vehicles primarily with electric motors - BMW X7 Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 01-09-2015, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

BMW to power future vehicles primarily with electric motors

BMW has got some big plans in the pipeline if a report by Autocar is to be believed. Rumor has it that the automaker has plans to power their vehicles by primarily electric motors in the future. The plan will start with the reinvented 3-series, which launches in 2022, which means that the upcoming X7 won't be a part of the initial move. The system will be scaleable however, which means that it should be usable throughout the BMW lineup.

The motivation for this change is mostly the ever stricter EU fuel economy and emissions regulations. By the year 2021 automakers are to have a fleet average CO2 output of 95g/km, with a range between 85g/km and 11-g/km for the various brands. That is a lofty goal that will require some major changes to achieve.

In order to pull off this radical shift, BMW engineers have had to rethink their cars from the ground up. This starts with the weight of their cars. Future bodies and under-structures will make use of lightweight materials like carbon fiber, aluminum, and high-strength steels.

The electric motor will primarily power the front wheels of each vehicle. At speeds above 50mph, the engine will be on hand to assist the vehicle. Generally, the engine will work mostly as a generator though. The engine will only be driving the front wheels of the car about 10 percent of the time according to one BMW engineer.

The BMW X7 will begin production in Spartanburg in 2017 for a 2018 launch. This system won't make it into the first iteration of the X7, but by the time the X7 is due for its first redesign sometime around the year 2022, we could be seeing an X7 that only comes as a EV. Indeed, it is with BMW's larger models that there will be the most need for increasing fuel efficiency in order to meet new EU regulations.

There will likely be a X7 hybrid for the X7's 2018 launch, and fuel efficiency will already be a priority in that design. It should give us some very interesting signals about what to expect in the mid-term future when it comes to future X7 models and the BMW lineup generally.
post #2 of 6 Old 01-15-2015, 11:33 AM

Great news, I actually wasn't expecting BMW to make a drastic move like this as soon as they're planning to implement it all.

Now I wonder what Elon Musk has to say about it

post #3 of 6 Old 01-22-2015, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

It is a pretty big move. Come 2020 it will be cool to see a brand like BMW going (almost) fully electric. I wonder if other brands will make similar moves around that time. I think this will be one of those moves where those that do not make the switch will be left behind. Kinda like Blockbuster being left behind for Netflix.

post #4 of 6 Old 01-26-2015, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
It is a pretty big move. Come 2020 it will be cool to see a brand like BMW going (almost) fully electric. I wonder if other brands will make similar moves around that time. I think this will be one of those moves where those that do not make the switch will be left behind. Kinda like Blockbuster being left behind for Netflix.
one thing for sure is other brands of BMW's size haven't seem to gone public about anything like this, so who knows who else will join the race.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-24-2015, 06:19 PM

even hybrid vehicles still have more development to go through and from how I see it... haven't reached their peak.
fortunately there's a while to go before fully electric vehicles are must haves.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-27-2015, 01:46 PM

One source suggests by 2040 electric cars will become the norm.

By then a 3rd generation x7 will be out

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW X7 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page