x7 spy shots, thoughts and what they tell us - BMW X7 Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 10-17-2014, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

x7 spy shots, thoughts and what they tell us

I wanted to post up these spy shots for everyone and also give some more information on what they reveal, as well as forwarding some of the comments that people have been writing online.

So first off, this is a test mule that was spied driving around in Germany. It is based on the 2016 7-Series with the addition of weights to simulate the additional weight of the crossover. This isn't the first time we've seen something testing like this; the Maserati Levante prototype also used weights.

These spy shots seem to confirm that the BMW X7 will run on the 7-Series platform instead of the X5's platform. The whole X5 thing was originally thought of because of some spy shots of this old X5 prototype riding around a while ago.

The fact that the X7 will ride on the 7-Series platform means that it will likely use the same engines as the 7-Series: a six and eight cylinder option. There are rumors of a hybrid variant and a V12, but all of that is speculation right now.

One commenter thinks that this prototype is actually a BMW 7-Series High Security vehicle. You can read more about that here --> http://www.bmw.com/com/en/general/co..._overview.html

So we get a decent amount of info from these spy shots, but we don't get much to do with how the X7 will actually look in the end. For that I guess we will have to rely on render and have confidence that there won't be too much that is surprising given that the X7 is likely to fall in line with the rest of the 'X' labeled BMW SUVs.
post #2 of 11 Old 10-22-2014, 04:41 PM

A V12 BMW SUV will be awesome, something they need to make possible
post #3 of 11 Old 10-22-2014, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

I would say chances are that will happen. At least that is what I am expecting. If the 7-series gets one than it makes sense for the X7 to get one as well.

post #4 of 11 Old 10-23-2014, 03:47 PM

That's what I was thinking, at least it makes for another way to make use of this engine.

Another way for them to use it could be with a 7 series coupe, something to rival the S-Class coupe.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-23-2014, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

I could see that happening as well. At this point it seems like there isn't much restraint being shown as far as introducing new models or variants.
post #6 of 11 Old 10-24-2014, 03:29 PM

It would be a cool move for them and something I can see happening, especially since already the new 7 series sedan alone seems to be a big deal.

MB shot it's game up, time for BMW do to the same.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-21-2014, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Mercedes-Benz is bringing back Maybach, but I think that BMW is doing their i-series instead as their expansion brand. Personally, I find the i-series more interesting than Mercedes-Maybach.
post #8 of 11 Old 11-21-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
Mercedes-Benz is bringing back Maybach, but I think that BMW is doing their i-series instead as their expansion brand. Personally, I find the i-series more interesting than Mercedes-Maybach.
do you think we could see the X7 show up under or also part of their i brand?
post #9 of 11 Old 11-27-2014, 06:33 PM

Although that question wasn't directed to me...

I'll say that, going electric with a vehicle like this would be a huge jump and maybe too soon, but the possibility still stands. Even if we see a concept, who knows how much longer it can take till it finally hits production as an i model
post #10 of 11 Old 11-28-2014, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 View Post
do you think we could see the X7 show up under or also part of their i brand?
I don't think so. It seems like BMW is making each i vehicle a stand alone vehicle. They aren't just electric versions of BMW vehicles that already exist.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW X7 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page