Defending the X7 - BMW X7 Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 07-25-2014, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Defending the X7

Truthfully X7 is a glaring outlier in BMW's EfficientDynamics branding narrative, quite the side step from the "green" feeling BMW has been injecting into the brand.

Yes that's true, but unfortunately the i3 can not and will not satisfy the needs of all contrary to the hopes, dreams and delusions of many. The trending route to prosperity in recent years has ostensibly been downsizing and greenification, BMW's clientele however are not the ones clamouring for those products.

Says Arndt Ellinghorst, head of automotive research at ISI Group:

Quote:
“The X7 is a perfect reflection of the premium carmaker’s dilemma,” “On the one hand they need to launch more environment-friendly cars, on the other they have to make money to be able to afford to do so.”
All three of the large premium german automakers find themselves in the same predicament, satisfy customer demands or conform to the new global standards of the industry. Customers are still readily demanding high performance saloon cars and SUV's that violate just about every sentiment about modern automobiling and you know what, thats a good thing.

Says BMW:

Quote:
“(X7 is)thoroughly in accordance with the subject of sustainability . . . With large vehicles and SUVs there is often the blanket assumption that these have a very high [fuel] consumption. Our SUVs are efficient.”
I don't think its possible for any automaker in this day and age to adhere to one set in stone principal, in this age of individuals and increased ego every need must be satisfied, every ideal must be coddled and every client is special. Which means there is no single way about it, the yin must coexist with the yang.

Norbert Reithofer, BMW CEO:

[quote]“Customers worldwide have very different needs, and in the US, in particular, customers have always asked for a model above the X5. We are now responding to those wishes,”[/quote]

Not to mention, we're all well aware that Mercedes and Audi are both significant players in this range topping SUV segment, what one head does the other two heads will follow. So with all due respect to those green aficionados and underfunded observers please keep your mouths shut. Your lifestyle is not my lifestyle. If you want to drive an i3 or a Prius or a whatever thats good, great and wonderful, but I have a boat to tow and kids to move. Who's more ostentatious now, the luridly sanctimonious trend hopper or the guy leaving town to spend time with his family? We don't have to be antithetical, I recognize your needs (image, conversation fodder, validity) now recognize mine.

Thank you
post #2 of 12 Old 07-25-2014, 02:21 PM

Plus they can always throw in some hybrid powerplant to make it "green" even better would be if it was electric, just imagine that.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-25-2014, 04:17 PM

Larger vehicles are always going to be less efficient. Its a matter of being efficient and green for what it is, not in the whole scheme of the entire car industry.

post #4 of 12 Old 07-29-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
Larger vehicles are always going to be less efficient. Its a matter of being efficient and green for what it is, not in the whole scheme of the entire car industry.
Yup.

With that I wonder if they will go with an aluminum chassis to cut weight, it's the new thing car makers are doing and in this big segment it can help out a lot.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-30-2014, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Interestingly check out what Audi is considering for the Q7, its a TDI Plug in Hybrid...

Quote:
"The hybrid will be another argument to go for diesel in the US," Hackenberg told Automotive News Europe. "We have the combination of low CO2 emissions, necessary to meet market demand and regulations, and we have the diesel which gives a lot torque, which is very necessary for driveability."

"In the USA if you look to sportiness it is very important to be quick away from the traffic lights. In combination with the electric engine, a diesel hybrid delivers very good torque from the start," he added. We'd wholeheartedly agree.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-30-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter View Post
Yup.

With that I wonder if they will go with an aluminum chassis to cut weight, it's the new thing car makers are doing and in this big segment it can help out a lot.
BMW has also invested a lot in carbon fiber for their i brand so maybe they have some resources there that could be used in the X7. A combination of aluminum and carbon fiber could actually make this car quite a bit lighter than people would expect.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-30-2014, 06:53 PM

good point

it might even be a good idea if they use a mix of these materials, just not sure how and where they should go about this, i'm no engineer.
post #8 of 12 Old 07-31-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter View Post
good point

it might even be a good idea if they use a mix of these materials, just not sure how and where they should go about this, i'm no engineer.
I'm not sure how much BMW is actually using that carbon fiber outside of the i brand though. Do you know if they have made use of it in their other cars as well?

The use of both materials would make the X7 quite a bit more expensive.
post #9 of 12 Old 07-31-2014, 04:51 PM

I'm not exactly sure but i think it's possible the i8 might be using some, it is their electric supercar or sports car, how ever they classify it.
post #10 of 12 Old 08-01-2014, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
BMW has also invested a lot in carbon fiber for their i brand so maybe they have some resources there that could be used in the X7. A combination of aluminum and carbon fiber could actually make this car quite a bit lighter than people would expect.
and expensive! yes carbon is used heavily in the i brand as well as the M cars, however there is very little benefit to loading up a family suv full of carbon fibre. Its expensive to outfit and expensive to replace. Aluminium is a better route...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW X7 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page