This is makes the chances of an X7 M look MUCH brighter... - BMW X7 Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 07-08-2014, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

This is makes the chances of an X7 M look MUCH brighter...

Seeing how a BMW X1 M test mule was spotted during winter testing and the fact that BMW M's sales boss said it himself that “all BMWs are eligible for an M model,” it makes the chances of us seeing an X7 M very high.

Plus Mercedes has a GL63 AMG (that you can get right now) that BMW can target.

Quote:
Compact crossovers are growing in popularity, so why shouldn’t high-performance variants be part of the craze?

BMW isn’t dismissing the idea of an X1 M model for the crossover’s next generation, targetting the likes of the Audi RS Q3 and the Mercedes-Benz GLA 45 AMG. The all-new X1 is expected to launch next year and will be based on the company’s front-wheel drive architecture that underpins the 2 Series Active Tourer.

In a recent interview, BMW M’s sales boss, Jörg Bartels, said that “all BMWs are eligible for an M model,” and that the German automaker is keeping a close eye to see how successful Audi and Mercedes are within the segment. Both the X5 and X6 have M variants that have been considered successful in the marketplace.

Currently, the BMW X1 xDrive28i is powered by a 2.0-liter turbo four-cylinder engine with 240 hp and 260 lb-ft of torque while the X1 xDrive35i features the 3.0-liter inline-six with 300 hp and 300 lb-ft of torque. The Audi RS Q3, which is available in Europe, is powered by a five-cylinder engine with 310 hp and 310 lb-ft of torque and the Mercedes-Benz GLA 45 AMG features the most powerful production four-cylinder engine with 355 hp and 332 lb-ft of torque.

If an X1 M is to become a reality, expect its performance to best even the GLA 45 AMG to go along with more aggressive styling, better handling and braking performance.
post #2 of 12 Old 07-08-2014, 03:59 PM

I will agree that there is a chance of this, but the X7 is hardly a "compact crossover." Do you think that there is a lot of demand for this? How high would the take rate be?
post #3 of 12 Old 08-05-2014, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
I will agree that there is a chance of this, but the X7 is hardly a "compact crossover." Do you think that there is a lot of demand for this? How high would the take rate be?
I agree, the X7 is not even close to being a compact crossover, not that it was mentioned here or anything to be a compact crossover

take rate of a X7 M....probably not as much as any other M model.

post #4 of 12 Old 08-07-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter View Post
I agree, the X7 is not even close to being a compact crossover, not that it was mentioned here or anything to be a compact crossover

take rate of a X7 M....probably not as much as any other M model.
I think that they will do it as long as there is enough interest that it is worth it for them to do all that work. I am still not sure if there is that demand. What do you think?
post #5 of 12 Old 08-07-2014, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

I noticed a trend with car makers continuing to make this big and expensive SUV's....one of them being BMW. So if they already see interest for an SUV like the X7 i think they probably also see demand for an M model.

worst case scenario, it's a low volume product with horrible sales and they chop it years down the line.
post #6 of 12 Old 08-08-2014, 01:45 PM

I'm on board with this ONLY as long as they stuff the snarly V12 bi turbo from the 7 under the hood and call it a day
post #7 of 12 Old 08-08-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
I noticed a trend with car makers continuing to make this big and expensive SUV's....one of them being BMW. So if they already see interest for an SUV like the X7 i think they probably also see demand for an M model.

worst case scenario, it's a low volume product with horrible sales and they chop it years down the line.
I think that they get really good margins on this product and there also isn't a ton of competition, especially for an M model. BMW certainly would have the nicest full size SUV on the market when it comes out. 2nd would be the Escalade.
post #8 of 12 Old 08-08-2014, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Not related to this but it's confirmed that BMW will produce an M7
post #9 of 12 Old 08-11-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Not related to this but it's confirmed that BMW will produce an M7
So they are going to build an M7. Interesting...

What kind of customer do you think that a M7 appeals to?

And do you mean a 7-series M model, or an M model of the X7. Just to be clear.
post #10 of 12 Old 08-11-2014, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

The type of person that would buy an Audi S8 & S7, Mercedes S63 AMG and the like.

Yes, a 7-series M model.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW X7 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page