Sales data points to 'no' for big hybrid SUVs - BMW X7 Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 05-09-2014, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Sales data points to 'no' for big hybrid SUVs

If you were curious whether or not BMW would come out with a hybrid version of the X7, a look at hybrid SUV sales data should help you come to terms. People aren't buying hybrid SUVs. GM is discontinuing its hybrid Cadillac Escalade, Chevrolet Tahoe and GMC Yukon SUVs.

The hybrid Escalade offered 21 mpg, compared to its petrol counterpart which offered 16 mpg. That's a 31% boost in fuel efficiency, but that doesn't really matter when "no one bought them," as David Schiavone, Escalade's marketing manager, points out.

Lexus only sold nine hybrid models of its big LS sedan last month. The issue for that is cost. The hybrid version is about $6,000 more than the petrol version. Other Lexus models don't have quite the price hike for the hybrid version.

Other brands are still soldiering on though. Infiniti is making a hybrid version of its 2014 QX60 full size, three-row luxury SUV. About 10% of buyers opt for the $3,000 option.

The point is, I don't think that we are going to see an X7 hybrid, just in case you were holding your breath.
post #2 of 12 Old 05-09-2014, 04:06 PM

yea I didnt think so anyways. Theres not enough benefit to justify the extra cost. I mean maybe if they could beat MPG by at least 10-15 then you would have peoples attention, but its so miniscule it just makes no sense for most people. Especially people who turn their car over every 3-4 years...
post #3 of 12 Old 05-12-2014, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

I read somewhere that the hybrid Chevy Tahoe was the green car of the Year in 2008.

The world was so messed up in 2008.

post #4 of 12 Old 05-13-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
I read somewhere that the hybrid Chevy Tahoe was the green car of the Year in 2008.

The world was so messed up in 2008.

as if its not still

consider that the Tahoe Hyb probably lopped more off MPG than a Prius makes in total
post #5 of 12 Old 05-13-2014, 06:31 PM

not surprising

truth is that not very many people buy large SUVs

but the market still does exist
post #6 of 12 Old 05-15-2014, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

That is the paradoxical thing.

Large hybrids give a lot more savings in fuel efficiency, but they don't sell very well. On the other hand, small cars that are hybrids don't really give you much savings in fuel efficiency though.

I guess the sweet spot is somewhere in the middle size-wise.
post #7 of 12 Old 05-15-2014, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
That is the paradoxical thing.

Large hybrids give a lot more savings in fuel efficiency, but they don't sell very well. On the other hand, small cars that are hybrids don't really give you much savings in fuel efficiency though.

I guess the sweet spot is somewhere in the middle size-wise.
that's not a paradox.

Escaledes once optioned can range from $80-100K same with Navi, thats an extremely limited slice of the market.
post #8 of 12 Old 05-16-2014, 05:13 PM

i feel like big SUVs. should just all be diesel. hybrids are just too darn expensive.
post #9 of 12 Old 05-24-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrp View Post
i feel like big SUVs. should just all be diesel. hybrids are just too darn expensive.
they should but car makers fail to do this in nations that really need it like America. With how hybrid and electric systems are growing i think they will just stick with it over diesel
post #10 of 12 Old 05-26-2014, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Diesel prices tend to fluctuate more than petrol prices, so auto makers are nervous to commit too much to them because if the prices go up then people won't buy them anymore.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW X7 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page